Saturday, October 19, 2019

Is it too late for me to Slow FI? And three friends in my life that are doing it

Could this be me one day?

Slow FI is a rather new concept to me. Until I stumbled on a post about it at Jess' blog, The Fioneers, I've been on the "traditional", Mr. Money Moustache path to financial independence - save like hell and pull the plug as early as I can.

The journey has not been a happy one. Since 2015, I've had a string of jobs with fancy titles and great pay with awful conditions that wrecked my mental health. (You've read about my ordeal with Crazy Co, haven't you?) But I tell myself to grin and bear it because that's what you do to FI. You suck it up and save.

The idea of "enjoying" the journey to financial independence seemed like an impossible, unrealistic dream to me. While I really liked the idea of Slow FI, I felt that I couldn't pull it off because:

1. I live in Asia - good part-time jobs are not in great supply. (They rather make you work full-time and milk the hell out of you. But maybe I'm not looking for these jobs hard enough.)

2. I started my FI journey late - in my mid 30s and am now almost 45. I don't think I have the luxury of time on my side. I needed that stable high income to pump into my retirement accounts.

But do I, really?

Because I have friends in my life that are showing me that life could be lived differently.





Penny*
Penny was my former colleague at Ye Olde company who up and left to start her own freelancing business. ("I was only earning $2k then. I felt like I had nothing to lose!") It's been 10 years now and she's immensely happy with her decision, even if her life may not live up to the materialistic standards of metropolitan Asia. She doesn't have an expensive condo to her name, recently lost her husband (so no second income). Yet, she doesn't think much about the money in her retirement accounts - she just lives day by day. Her freelance life is made possible by her simple lifestyle - she rents a room and lives on just $1000 a month. Yet, she's the happiest and most serene person I know.

Briony*
My close pal Briony always takes a mini career break every six years. One of her career breaks lasted a year, and she was able to do it because she house sat for a family for a year - so her accommodation was free for that period. Her career break wasn't planned - her contract wasn't renewed. However, she took it as a great opportunity to rest and recalibrate. So, she volunteered during that time and rested. She's currently on yet another career break. She spent a month in England, and is now slowly looking for work. It's been 4 months and she doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get another job!

Elaine*
After a string of bad jobs, Elaine gave up on pursuing a steady, full-time job in corporate-land and decided to freelance. She only had 2 months of savings when she did that (not a great idea, she said, but she felt like she had no choice). She said it was the best decision of her life. She loved the flexibility and the ability to call her own shots. I've always admired Elaine's entrepreneurial spirit. Elaine's back in the full-time job market because of family commitments, but she says that she won't hesitate to return to that life if given the chance.

* Not their real names

If you could Slow FI, what would you do? Travel more? Volunteer?


Technically, my friends are Slow FI. They are financially responsible, live mostly frugal lives but live life on their own terms. They may not have the fat corporate paychecks, but they have an abundance of time and autonomy.

Are they able to pull it off cos they are super wealthy or have rich husbands?

No. Penny, as I said, doesn't have property. Briony still has mortgage bills to pay and her previous employer wasn't a great paymaster - her pay was always late! Elaine rents a $1.8k apartment (the usual rate in the city) and recently sold her car to pay off credit card debts.

What they have is a strong determination to live life on their own terms and to put their healths, sanity and well-being first.

And I'm starting to ask myself: If they could do this, why not me? Why not now?

Some things in my favour:
  • A paid-off apartment that is pulling me rental income of $1.8k a month, enough to cover my basic expenses.
  • 12 months' emergency fund in the bank
  • I can live rent-free for a few months


In a previous post, I said that I only wanted to Barista Fire when I'm 45 - that's about two years away. The idea was to save like mad the next two years and then step down to a slower schedule.

If you've been following my Twitter feed, you'll realise that there's something "off" about my new job at GC. I won't go into details because, frankly, I'm plain fed up by the corporate bullshit that is going on and I'm also not sure if it's my paranoia speaking and I'm jumping to conclusions.

But yes, I'm asking myself - if I have to Slow FI earlier than planned, can I pull it off?

What do you think?

1 comment:


  1. Ngày nay, sự nở rộ của các trung tâm dịch thuật công chứng trên thị trường đã tạo nên cuộc cạnh tranh khốc liệt giữa các đơn vị dịch thuật, do đó khách hàng có nhiều cơ hội hơn để lựa chọn đơn vị dịch thuật phù hợp với nhu cầu của mình. Tuy nhiên, cuộc “chạy đua” về “số lượng” giữa các đơn vị đã tạo nên sức ép lớn cho các dịch giả và hệ quả là những bản dịch thiếu chính xác ra đời.Công ty CP dịch thuật miền trung – MIDtrans là công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp hàng đầu tại Việt Nam. Sứ mệnh của chúng tôi là giúp xóa bỏ rào cản ngôn ngữ, đem thông tin lưu chuyển dễ dàng giữa các quốc gia, tổ chức, cá nhân trên toàn cầu. . Hệ thống thương hiệu và các Công ty dịch thuật con trực thuộc: dịch thuật quảng ninh - dịch thuật miền trung tại 449 Quang Trung là địa chỉ chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp tại Quảng Ninh và các khu vực lân cận ; dịch thuật cần thơ , dịch thuật tiếng trung hoa : địa số 123 Lê Trọng Tấn là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch thuật uy tín hàng đầu tại cần thơ; dịch thuật tại điện biên: là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch vụ dịch thuật phiên dịch hàng đầu tại điện biên; dịch thuật lâm đồng : Địa chỉ 101 Trần Hưng Đạo chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật công chứng, dịch thuật đa ngôn ngữ, đa chuyên ngành tại lâm đồng; dịch thuật tại lạng sơn 43 Điện Biên Phủ chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật đa chuyên ngành tại lạng sơn; Công ty dịch thuật Hà Nội MIDtrans chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật tại phú thọ : địa chỉ 05 Lê Viết Thuật là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ biên dịch, phiên dịch chuyên nghiệp tại địa bàn Ninh Thuận. Ngoài ra, Chúng tôi cũng cung cấp các dịch vụ biên dịch và phiên dịch, dịch thuật công chứng chất lượng cao hơn 50 ngôn ngữ khác nhau như tiếng Anh, Nhật, Hàn, Trung, Pháp, Đức, Nga, .vv... Nhận dịch thuật công chứng đa chuyên ngành: Hợp đồng Kinh tế; Giấy xác nhận tài chính; Giấy chứng nhận độc thân; Dịch thuật Hồ sơ cá nhân; Dịch Hồ sơ đi du học; Dịch thuật Hồ sơ xuất khẩu lao động; Hộ khẩu; chứng minh nhân dân, thẻ căn cước công dângiấy kết hôn; hợp đồng kinh tế; đồng xuất nhập, báo cáo tài chính; Dịch thuật hồ sơ mời thầu; Dịch hồ sơ dự thầu; hồ sơ thầu; Dịch thuật công chứng giấy xác minh tình hình tài chính để đi nước ngoài; giấy ủy quyền; Giấy xác nhận hôn nhân, giấy xác nhận độc thân; Giấy chứng nhận quyền sở hữu nhà ở; giấy chứng nhận quyền sử dụng đất; giấy ủy quyền;. Các dự án đã triên khai đều nhận được phản hồi hài lòng của khách hàng.Đó là kết quả của một hệ thống quản lý chất lượng dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp, những tâm huyết và kinh nghiệm của đội ngũ biên dịch viên dịch thuật tại bình thuận của chúng tôi. email: info@dichthuatmientrung.com.vn. Gọi ngay 0947.688.883 để có giá tốt nhất.

    ReplyDelete