Monday, June 3, 2019

What I’m planning to do while serving my notice


You bet I'll be doing more of this from now on.


I really envy Americans. They have 2-week notices. Two weeks! In my country, it’s months' long. Four or more if you’re incredibly unlucky or are a big shot in the company.

How I’m spending the notice period truly depends on how the company wants me to work during my “final days”.

From my observation, some colleagues are usually "put on ice" months before they leave. Meaning, they are not allowed to come near any project.



Gosh, I hope I’m as lucky.

But it would seem that there's no uniformity in this company. Some have absolutely nothing to do. Some run ragged till the very last day.

But, anyway, I had a chat with boss who says that I will be doing work while I'm serving notice.

Well, pooh.

I really hope I won't be in the run ragged group.

My heart sank at first, because honestly, I really CANT with this job anymore. 2.5 months feels like an eternity right now.

My only hope is that the work won't be as demanding as the last few months because I really need to rest from Crazy Co's insanity.

Still, this is what I'm going to do while serving my notice period.

1. Rest
I was tempted to fill my schedule with "things I must do to prepare for new job". Yes, that's important, but to be my best for the new job, I need to also recharge. I will be sleeping in longer and no more late nights or weekends doing work. And if they insist, what are they going to do, fire me? (evil laugh)

2. Reconnect with friends
Work took so much out of me that I barely had the strength to meet friends. I will be using this time to meet ex-colleagues, friends and have coffee with them.

Let's work from here, shall we?

3. Travel 
Thanks to my remote working days, I plan to work from different places in the city or from different states - and write about them of course!

4. Study up for the new job
I have asked the new boss what to do to prepare and he’s suggested I read up on the industries I will be writing about. It’s very high tech & brainy industries and I am frankly excited!

5. Take courses - ideal, but probably not possible
I plan to take a few online courses to "skill up" for the new job. This is something I longed to do during a career break, so this is as good a time as any!

6.  Handover. 

However, believe it or not, I'm more or less done.

One of the first things I did when I started this job was to create "guide books" for my duties.

Aside from sporadic verbal downloads from other colleagues here and there, I received nearly zero training at Crazy Co and was given tasks I was often not ready for.

I couldn't understand why nobody bothered to create a guidebook for the tasks, so I decided to create them to make sense of the scattered information I was receiving. Also, I didn't want newbies to suffer the same fate - also, won't it be easier to have a reference document, in general, anyway??

These guidebooks turned out to be the best handover documents EVER.

Also, the good news: I have only one project left to wrap up. You bet I created a project notebook - complete with task lists, progress reports and contact numbers.

It definitely pays to be anal about documenting every single shit that passes through your desk.



With this plan in place, I'm confident that my notice period would be less of a miserable experience. You can say I'm even looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment