Wednesday, June 19, 2019

How I negotiated a mini career break & how a Fuck Off fund made it possible


Well, I've been away! Partly because things at Crazy Co. was tense because I was negotiating for an early release from my 3-month notice period. It went easier than I thought - the resistance and pushback I expected was not as bad as I thought.

Step 1: Point out a clause in the contract
There's a clause in the contract that stated that if I wasn't confirmed, I could  be released in a month. All notices, stated the contract, had to be in writing, and this will include the notice of confirmation. Crazy Co never bothered to give me a confirmation letter. I pointed it out and HR basically laughed at my face. I expected that - they were the type to follow the clauses of the contract only when it suited them - so I wasn't crushed. A lawyer friend said that I could argue it out in the courts. However, who would want to do that? I'd rather save myself the time and money and heartache. At least I tried!

Step 2: Talk it out with relevant parties - have a good reason ready
This was tough for me as Crazy Co management can be downright mean. But a face-to-face chat is essential before sending out that email. Emails can be so terse and robotic; putting a face to the request helps soften things up. First, I approached the HR director and head of department and told them what I'm planning to do (apply for early release) and my reason for doing so (I had to sort out personal matters). Then I spoke to the CEO - whose moods are as unpredictable as the weather. I watched her carefully, making sure that she's in a good mood and pounced. It turned out to be a barely 5-min chat. She told me to send the email request.

Step 3: Send that email
Have it in black and white. Always!


Step 4: Negotiate
Confession - I totally flubbed this. I made a mistake in my email which alarmed the higher ups because I requested to have my notice period shortened to a month instead of 2 months! (I guess my subconscious REALLY wanted to leave ASAP.) They offered to release me in 1.5 months and I don't know why - call it a brain fart or total logical breakdown - I stuck to my original date. [FACEPALMS] I totally kicked myself for hours after that.

After a few days, I worked up the courage to re-negotiate with the head of my department (who was not pleased, obviously) and got my notice shortened a further one week.



Next time, I'll go in with a prepared script for different scenarios. It's just that I never expected them to give me an even earlier release - I was all prepared to accept a 2.1 month release! So my brain was fixated on that, I suppose!!

So with this early release, I got myself a month off before starting the new job. Woohoo!

All those steps above were important, but none were more important than this step:

Be financially prepared by having a FUCK OFF fund

I knew that if I got an early release, I'll be sacrificing my salary. In this case I'll be sacrificing a month's salary. However, I've spent years saving up for that day when I may not have that salary coming in.

Right now, my Fuck Off fund is enough to cover at least a year's expenses.

On top of that, I currently have a source of passive income via my rental home. That monthly income is enough to cover my monthly expenses.

I currently only spend 50% of my monthly income.  But in a crunch, I only need $2k a month to live on comfortably. This is because I have NO debt, live frugally (except for an expensive eating out habit I'm trying to tame) and don't have a pressing desire to spend money on stuff.

With the fund and frugal habits in place I didn't even blink at doing without a salary for a month.


Because, really, my mental health is so much more important, 'k?

Because, although things are much, much better in terms of workload, flexibility - the meanness that is at the centre of this company's way of being is still there. After nearly 10 months of this shit, I'M OVER IT.

I do not, I repeat, I do not want to bring this negativity unconsciously to the new workplace. Because currently, I look at people at work like they're a bunch of piranhas out to eat the flesh off my bones. I need to regain some faith in humanity first.


No comments:

Post a Comment